Friday, May 21, 2010

Bangkok (sorta) and Phuket!




We arrived in Bangkok on Wednesday May 19th to be greeted by sweltering heat and unbearable humidity. Arriving at our hotel we got settled in and decided to go look around. We soon realized how far away from the main city we were. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing considering the military had just cracked down on the red shirt protesters that day. We walked around for a bit and stopped to grab some waters and snacks before heading back to the hotel.

That evening we headed to Thong Lo which is still somewhat far outside the central part of Bangkok. On our way there we heard on the radio about a curfew set for 8pm that evening...it was 5pm when we got there. We walked around searching for a place to grab some food and found a great little outdoor spot with flowing water near the center, fans all around, and mist sprays everywhere. JACKPOT!! It was a little worrisome at first that we were the only ones but before we even got our food the place started filling up. The food was amazing! I have never had better Pad Thai ever!




After we left there (and after my friend saved my butt by reminding me I left my backpack back in the restaurant) we looked around and noticed the streets were all but empty...uh oh! We thought for sure that since it was 7:20pm or so that we would have plenty of time to catch a taxi. After ten minutes we finally found one only to be told that he did not want to take us to our hotel (out in the middle of nowhere) because he would not make it back before curfew. Great. We hopped back out of his taxi and found one shortly after who agreed to take us there.

Our hotel must really be on the outskirts because almost every taxi driver had trouble finding it. We arrived back safely and were passed out before long. Jet lag is a real pain in the rear. We tried to cure it by sleeping for 10 hours straight. My friend and I went to the airport to see off our two other friends as they were heading to Chang Rai in the northern part of Thailand. While at the airport we talked with an informational services rep and before we knew it, my friend and I were on our way to Phuket!




We arrived in Phuket about an hour and a half after booking our hotel and airfare down there (which would never happen with such strict rules back in the states). We got our free shuttle to our hotel and immediately hit the pool. After freshening up we took to the streets to grab some food. It was amazing to experience some of the hustle and bustle of a busy little city since we really couldn't do so back in Bangkok. This place is what I envisioned Thailand to look like: neon signs everywhere, street vendors shouting out prices, taxi drivers pestering you nonstop, and massage rooms with masseuses out front pedaling there deals. Oh, and bars scattered in between all of this. There are more bars than restaurants and shops combined!

Any how, so far-so good. Aside from being woken up by the loudest thunder I have ever heard in my life last night followed by the heaviest downpour, we are finally catching up on sleep and getting adjusted. Today is going to be a mellow day at the beach and familiarizing ourselves with our surroundings for the next six days. Who knows, maybe we will go to the “James Bond Island” where The Man With The Golden Gun was filmed or to Maya Bay where The Beach was filmed. I'll definitely keep you posted! Sorry for the long entry but it's been a few days.

3 comments:

  1. Pictures of the beaches please! I am so jealous! I was actually planning a trip to Thailand back in 2004 but the tsunami had other plans for me...which forced me to cancel mine. I am still hoping to get over there one day!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elliot, it's great to read your posts. I'm so looking forward to all of the adventures of you and your gang. Trevor's mom, Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, I came over here from 'HerdingCats' when she mentioned recently about your trip. I'm ever so slightly envious (understatement) that you plan to see Maya Beach, well and James Bond Island too actually. Maya Beach looked heavenly in the film. Photos please! ... And pls let us know if it's as lovely IRL.

    Whatever you do, have fun!

    ReplyDelete